Subaru Outback is the SUV that puts safety first. Loaded full of innovations to help keep you and your family safe, it's achieved the maximum five-star ANCAP occupant safety rating.
The famous Subaru Boxer engine is not only a great performer; it also reduces the risk of injury in a severe frontal collision. This is because it’s designed to sit lower and flatter in the engine bay than traditional engines, so it will slide below the cabin – not through it – in an accident.
5 star approval
Thanks to its clever combination of collision protection technology, the Subaru Outback has achieved the maximum 5 star ANCAP1 safety rating. This is a result of an incredibly rigorous safety innovation program, that includes seven SRS2 airbags – dual front, dual front side, curtain-style and drivers-knee – and a whiplash reducing front seat design, which provides extreme support for passengers’ head, neck and torso.
In case of an accident, the ring-shaped passenger cell redirects impact energy around your passengers, while the body frame is structured to distribute the impact forces to reduce cabin distortion. Add to that energy absorbing crumple zones. And pre-tensioner front seat belts. Now enjoy the drive with the confidence of top-rated collision protection technology.
1. The Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) gives consumers consistent information on the level of occupant protection provided by vehicles in serious front and side crashes.
2. SRS: Supplemental Restraint System. Effective when used in conjunction with seatbelts.
Let all the wheels do all the work
Grip hold of slippery rainy streets. In true Subaru style, Subaru Outback uses our Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (SAWD) system that gives you optimum control and double the tractive capacity of a two-wheel drive car. Because four wheels grip better than two. It’s active safety at its best.
Assistance at the ready
Sudden stopping. Surprise roadworks and hairpin turns. Subaru Outback is ready for extreme urban conditions with its electronic driver assist system called Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC). Featuring a range of stability and braking technologies, the VDC system steps in to help maintain your safety in extreme situations.
Constantly analysing through an array of sensors, VDC includes:
- Electronic Stability Control: Helps you gain control if you unexpectedly understeer or oversteer, by applying brakes, reducing engine power and distributing torque.
- Traction Control System: Helps you minimise your wheel slip by reducing engine power.
- Limited Slip Device: Helps you maintain control by transferring power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip.
- Anti-lock Braking System: Helps you stay in control by minimising stopping distance and maintaining vehicle control under brakes.
- Electronic Brake Force Distribution: Helps keep you safe by controlling the braking pressure to the front and rear wheels all the time.
- Brake Assist: Helps you in emergency situations by maximising stopping power.
Reverse made easy
Reverse parking on a tight side street? The Subaru Outback makes reversing safe and easy.
Every Subaru Outback is fitted with a rear-view reverse camera as standard. It’s like having eyes in the back of your head. The rear-view reverse camera helps to greatly improve your visibility and reduce the risk of any bumps and scrapes, so you can get on with your day.
UP-TO-DATE ON THE ROAD
You need never look away from the road, with the new Multi-Information Display unit providing all your vehicle information and incoming call notifications, right in the centre of your instrument cluster. Located directly in front of the driver, it includes speed information, EyeSight® Driver Assist prompts (CVT variants only), call notifications and turn-by-turn directional information from the satellite navigation.